This dish is made for the veggie lover. Tahiri is a traditional rice based dish. Tahiri can be made with meat as well. Although I think a celebration of vegetables with ghee or butter and fluffy rice grains can make each mouthful so delectable.
(Serves For 4 persons)
White onions thinly sliced- 650gms
Vegetable oil-5 tbsp
Softened butter-3 tbsp
Water or vegetable stock-600mls
Bay leaves- 2
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Garlic cloves roughly chopped-5
Ginger roughly chopped- 1½”
Green chillies- 2
Coriander seeds coarsely crushed- 1 tbsp
Mild chilli powder- ¼ tsp
Trmeric powder-1 tsp
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Greek yoghurt/ thick yoghurt whisked- 3 tbsp
Potatoes cut into quarters- 350gms
Cauliflower cut to florets- 350gms
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander for garnish
Tahiri cooking method
1. In a large frying pan heat the vegetable oil on a medium heat. Add 400gms of the onions. Fry it for 25-30 minutes. Stirring every few minutes. When it begins to turn golden brown drain the fried onions on kitchen paper and keep aside.
2. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli in a blender and blitz a fine smooth paste with a splash of water.
3. Then heat the butter in a large heavy bottom sauce pan on medium heat until the foam begins to subside. Add the crushed coarse spices and fry for 20 seconds. Also add the remaining onions and stir well frying for 12-14 minutes.
4. Now add the garlic, ginger and chilli paste and fry for a minute. Add the coarse crushed coriander seeds, mild chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Pour a splash of water, scrape the bottom of the pan stir well and fry for 20 seconds. Then add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Taking the pan off the heat, add the yogurt stir well. Put it back on a low heat. Add half the amount of water or stock and simmer with the lid on for 4 minutes. Stir well, season to taste and add the cauliflower florets. Continue simmering with the lid on for 5 minutes.
6. Now add the rice, handful of fried onions and the remaining water. Put the heat up to medium and cook for 8 minutes without the lid.
7. Leave the Tahiri to cool slightly for 20 minutes before you open the lid. Serve with the fried onions for garnish and some fresh coriander. Accompany the tahiri with pudina raita and some mooli or onion salad.
Hope you guys enjoy the recipe.